LINCOLN CITY — Officials with Explore Lincoln City, also known as the Visitors and Convention Bureau, issued 16 grants for tourism promotion worth $156,170 in July. A seven-member citizen committee voted on the recommendations.
“Note that we had $332,470 in requests this year versus $160, 620 in available funds,” commented Ed Dreisdadt, manager of the tourism bureau.
Dreisdadt said Lincoln City “got out of the business of running events” two years ago, adopting a policy to award grants to civic and private groups to stage tourist attractions, instead.
“The Committee had to make a lot of hard decisions, including a significant number of grant requests that were partially funded. The days of grant requests totaling less than the money available seem to be over.”
2018 TOURISM GRANTS
- Cascade Head Biosphere Reserve Collaborative: Wild Edge of the Continent event: originally requested $17,150, awarded $6,500 for advertising only.
- Safari Town Surf Shop: “Experience the Oregon Coast” ad campaign: originally requested $23,000, awarded $10,000 for advertising only, no equipment purchases.
- Bijou Theatre: Oregon Made Film Festival: Committee will award and fully fund the $8,150 request on the condition that the festival is moved to a time between the third week in September and the second week in November to accommodate off shoulder season and appropriate demographics. Committee will not award grant funds if the date of the event doesn’t change or the event doesn't happen.
- North Lincoln CHM: Tour to Die For: fully fund original request of $9,000.
- Olde Line Lanes: Olde Line Lanes Restoration Project: originally requested $23,570, awarded $11,570 for resurfacing of the lanes and the installation of scoreboard in order to be certified for out-of-town league play. Funds not awarded for purchasing the oiler.
Lincoln City Cultural Center: LCCC Target Event Marketing Plan: fully fund original request of $24,500.
- LC Chamber: Chowder and Brewfest: originally requested $17,500, awarded $12,500 specifically for tasting glasses, paid digital, posters, signs, banners, advertising and marketing collateral only.
- Kiwanis: Pixiefest, originally requested $16,000, awarded $11,000 for paid media only.
- Antique week/Granny’s Attic: Antique and Collectibles Week: originally requested $25,000, awarded $10,000: $9,000 for advertising and $1,000 for event costs.
- Siletz Bay Music Festival: Winterfest: fully fund original request of $5,500.
- Siletz Bay Music Festival: Hot Lands Reach Out, originally requested $6,000, and awarded $4,450 for actual advertising costs per submitted budget.
- Siletz Bay Music Festival: Siletz Bay Music Festival 2019: fully fund original request of $15,000.
- BAMA: Sandcastle Contest: fully fund original request of $5,000.
- BAMA: Oregon Coast Ghosts: fully fund original request of $15,000.
- BAMA: Cruisin’ the Bay Car Show, fully fund original request of $5,000.
Sitka Center for Art and Ecology: Fall and Winter Events Brochure, fully fund original request of $3,000.
- Halloween Alliance Advertising – Bay Area Merchants Association
- Lincoln City Eco-Tourism Ambassador Kiosk – Scout Northwest Trading Company
- Lincoln City Weekend Getaway and Vacations – Karen’s World
- Lincoln City Star Excellence in Hospitality – Oregon Coast Community College
- Nelscott Reef Big Wave Classic – Behemoth, LLC
Reach Rick Beasley at [email protected]