Siletz fire chief dies Sept. 30

SILETZ — Word was received in the community of Siletz late last week that Siletz Valley Fire Chief Glenn Fluhr died on Sept. 30. An initial report listed his cause of death as a pulmonary embolism, although that had not been verified as of press time on Tuesday.

Fluhr was not actively serving as fire chief at the time of his death. He had been placed on non-disciplinary, paid administrative leave on July 30 following a unanimous vote by the Siletz Valley Fire District Board of Directors. The News-Times received word last Friday that Fluhr had moved out of the home he was renting in Siletz at the end of August, and he and his family were said to have moved to Idaho, where he was reportedly living when he died. That information, also, could not be verified as of Tuesday’s press deadline.

  Reggie Butler Jr., who is serving as acting president of the Siletz Valley Fire District Board of Directors, said on Tuesday that he had not received verification of Fluhr’s death. “He did pass, but I did not get an official call from anybody. I just heard about it,” Butler said.

Because Fluhr was on paid administrative leave when he died, there appears to be some uncertainty as to what comes next in terms of the district’s contractual obligations. The fire district board did discuss Fluhr’s employment status during executive sessions, but no official action has been taken during an open session.

“We’re still in the process of all that; I still don’t want to comment on it,” Butler said. “We’re trying to figure out what steps to do next here.”

The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Siletz Valley Fire District Board of Directors is set for Tuesday, Oct. 20. When asked if the board might call for a special meeting prior to that to deal with this situation, Butler said, “I’m trying to get ahold of everybody and figure out how we’re going to move forward here.”

Butler added, “It’s an unfortunate thing for Glenn’s family.”


Video News
More In Home