The Newport Public Library recently announced a number of programs aimed at keeping library patrons engaged during the ongoing COVID restrictions.
• It’s (Finally) 2021 Reading Challenge — The It’s (Finally) 2021 Reading Challenge encourages people to switch up their usual reading habits and explore what the library has to offer. After they have read a book, eBook or audiobook in each of the first 33 categories, they can turn in a reading challenge ticket for prizes and a chance to win the grand prize drawing. There are also bonus categories that can earn people extra entries in the grand prize drawing. This reading challenge began on Jan. 1 and will go through the end of the year. The log and information for the challenge is available during library take-out hours, which are 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Book Bingo — Book Bingo is happening at the library. Anyone ages 18 and under can participate. Just pick up a bingo card during library take-out hours and complete it by May 31 for a prize.
• STEAM Takeaway Kits — The Newport Public Library is offering STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) inspired takeaway activities to pick up during library take-out hours. These kits are best for ages 11 and under.
• Teen Takeaway Kits — The library is also offering takeaway kits for teens, ages 12-18. These kits will have a STEAM-inspired activity. They can be picked up in January during library take-out hours.
• Teen Zoom Party — There’s an artsy event happening almost at the Newport Public Library. Join in the library’s monthly Teen Zoom Party on Jan. 13, from 3 to 4 p.m. Students, grades 6-12, are invited to a free Pictionary event via Zoom.
• The Reading Circle — Monthly meetings are now held via Zoom on the second Tuesday of the month at noon. The next session is Jan. 12 — participants will discuss books narrated by animals. The reading circle is free and open to the public. The Zoom meeting information can be found on online at at: http://ow.ly/Mnf950AT08z
• Library Wi-Fi — The library’s IT department has boosted its Wi-Fi, which is available from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Mondays through Fridays, in the library parking lots for free. People are encouraged to share this information with students and others who may not have Wi-Fi at home.
• Newport Library Mobile Hotspots — Want to know what’s “hot” at the Newport Public Library? Wi-Fi mobile hotspots are available for check out to adult Newport Public Library cardholders in good standing. There are seven hotspots available to check out for two weeks. Call 541-265-2153 or check out the library website for more information: http://ow.ly/fujo50BRkWD
More information about these programs is available by calling the Newport Public Library at 541-265-2153 or going online at newportlibrary.org.