Firefighters respond to Waldport fire

Firefighters worked around the clock on Monday and Tuesday to monitor and extinguish a structure fire in an abandoned building. (Courtesy photo)

WALDPORT — At 4:15 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 26, the Central Oregon Coast Fire & Rescue District was dispatched on a report of a possible illegal burn and smoke in the area coming from off of SW Norwood Drive in Waldport.

A unit responded at 4:16 p.m. and arrived on scene within the minute. The first arriving unit reported smoke coming from the wooded area to the north and down the hill. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that it was a house fire and would not be accessible from Norwood Drive.

The first arriving unit then headed down and across from Highway 101 at the sea wall to access the abandoned structure, which was located at 955 SW Pacific Coast Highway.

Yachats Fire and Seal Rock Fire were dispatched, along with an additional request for Central Coast Fire personnel and Pacific West Ambulance.

At 4:27 p.m., Central Coast Fire Chief Gary Woodson established command near the structure up on the hill and several hundred feet of hose line was taken up the hill to the structure from the engine, as apparatus access was not an option. Units from Seal Rock Fire arrived and set up to supply water to Central Coast Fire’s main engine.

At 4:30 p.m. Central Lincoln PUD arrived on scene and disconnected power from the overhead lines that crossed the structure. At 4:33 p.m. the Seal Rock fire chief assumed the operations role at the highway level to assist with water supply and traffic control.

Operations in conjunction with the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office shut down the northbound lane of Highway 101 so that approximately 1,000 feet of hose could be run from the hydrant near Grand Central Pizza to Central Coast Fire’s main engine. This closed access to Norwood Heights area via Highway 101.

At 4:39 p.m. Yachats Fire arrived on scene to assist with fire control. Newport Fire was dispatched at 5:09 p.m. to assist with coverage for the south county area.

The fire was under control and a hot spot watch was put into place at 7:17 p.m.

A plan was put into place to watch the structure overnight, and the hose lines were left in place in case of a flare-up. A backup engine was put into place at the location over night, along with a two-person crew. The following morning, at around 11:30 a.m., the engine and hose lines were removed.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation by Central Coast Fire and the Oregon State Fire Marshals office and the Lincoln County Fire Investigation Team.


— Central Oregon Coast Fire and Rescue


Video News
More In Home