NEWPORT — The Newport Fire Department responded to a report of a boat fire on Yaquina Bay at around 1:45 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 10. The boat, identified as the F/V Nile II, was moored at Port Dock 7.
Cub Barrus, a crew member aboard the F/V Misty, which is docked next to the Nile II, said, “We were just sitting here waiting to offload, and I said to my captain, ‘Is that smoke?’ So we called the harbormaster, got him on the case. They got it put out pretty fast.”
“We were notified this afternoon about a potential boat fire,” Newport Fire Department (NFD) Assistant Fire Chief Bob Harvey said as he was leaving the port dock. “It was an older fishing vessel that was apparently abandoned.”
Harvey said port personnel had already put the fire out with fire extinguishers by the time the fire department arrived on the scene.
Harvey explained that too many electrical appliances were plugged into shore power, and that it appeared a cord had been stepped on “many times over.” There were kinks in the wire aboard the Nile II, he added, saying people have to be careful to use the proper size extension cord, that appliances are properly connected and to make sure that electric cords aren’t kinked or damaged.
“This one was obviously being stepped on for many, many years,” Harvey said.