Detours coming to West Devils Lake Road


LINCOLN CITY — A portion of the main road to Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital will be closed later this month.

To facilitate the replacement of a bridge, beginning Aug. 17, one lane of traffic will be closed on West Devils Lake Road in Lincoln City, and flaggers will be on scene directing traffic. Two weeks later, on Aug. 31, both lanes of the road will be closed, and traffic that would have come from 22nd Street will have to reroute to access the hospital. The closure is expected to last until Sept. 21, according to a construction schedule provided by the project contractor, HP Civil, of Stayton.

The bridge to be replaced is located just out of 26th Street. West Devils Lake Road will be closed at 22nd Street, and traffic will be local access only starting at Holmes Road. During its regular meeting Monday, July 27, City Manager Ron Chandler told the Lincoln City City Council that the Department of Public Works’ message board was not in use and could be deployed to provide motorists with advance notice of the closure. 

City Engineer Stephanie Reid told the News-Times notice had already been sent to residents of the affected area, and the city is asking detoured motorists to use the north access of West Devils Lake Road from Highway 101, as opposed to Holmes Road, if they are not having an emergency. 

Reid said the bridge has long been in need of repair, and the project has been waitlisted for Oregon Department of Transportation funding for around 10 years. Weight limits, which barred access to large trucks and even fire department vehicles, have been in effect for some time. The cost of the project is around $1.5 million, 90 percent of which is funded by ODOT, with the city picking up the tab for the other 10 percent.

A notice of the impending closure and a map has been posted to the city website’s homepage at www.lincolncity.org.

Advertisement

More In Local News