Depoe Bay man dead after multiple arrests, domestic violence charges

NEWPORT –– Violated restraining orders. Multiple arrests. Reports of pulling a gun outside a daycare.

Documents filled with Joshua Gilleo’s misdemeanors and felony charges paint a grim picture of Gilleo’s downward spiral that ended in his death in a single-occupant cell in the Lincoln County Jail late Thursday night.

The Depoe Bay resident and former co-owner of the now-defunct “The Flower Pot” dispensary was arrested Oct. 16 on charges of unlawful use of a weapon with a firearm, endangering a person protected by a family abuse prevention act restraining order, unlawful possession of a firearm and menacing constituting domestic violence.

At the time, he was arrested by a Lincoln County Sheriff’s Deputy after Gilleo’s wife, Lynlei, called police to report Gilleo was threatening her with a gun outside Neighbors for Kids, a Depoe Bay organization that operates a day-care where the couple’s child went. According to a probable cause affidavit filed with the Lincoln County Circuit Court earlier this month, Gilleo was barred from having contact with Lynlei and her children, as well as coming within 500 feet of Neighbors for Kids.

One letter included in court files shows Lynlei’s family was afraid Gilleo was going to kill someone if allowed to continue to go free and pleaded with the court to raise the man’s bail.

“Mr. Gilleo was arrested after threatening to kill Lynlei,” states a letter from Vicki Norton, Lynlei’s mother, to Judge Sheryl Bachart of the Lincoln County Circuit Court. “Please help us. This man is going to kill someone if he is allowed to go free.”

During the incident outside a restaurant in Lincoln City on Oct. 16, Gilleo allegedly cocked a gun behind his back within earshot of Lynlei and said she wasn’t leaving there alive and that he was going to kill her. She immediately went to the daycare to pick up her child, fearing for their lives. He followed her, going around the back of the building, apparently trying to find her, according to court documents.

The next day, he was charged, and according to a pretrial release recommendation, may have benefitted from voluntary mental health services. He was assigned an attorney and released on bail in the amount of $150,000.

“He is dangerous, he is angry, he is a drunk and uses drugs,” Norton’s letter read. “He has access to bail money because he stole a considerable sum from the business he and our daughter owned.”

Just a few days after he was released, two of Gilleo’s neighbors called police after he allegedly started pounding on their front doors, threatening to shoot them and yelling profanities in the early hours of the morning. He admitted the next day to being drunk that night and didn’t remember anything.

He was arrested again and was held in the Lincoln County Jail on $75,000 bail, where he died Thursday.

Gilleo's cause of death was found to be suicide after an autopsy Friday at the State Medical Examiner's Office, according to the Newport Police Department, which conducted the investigation. The police department also said Gilleo's next of kin were notified.


More In Home