The Waldport Public Library, in conjunction with its “Universe of Heroes” summer reading program, will by holding a Cosplay Festival this Saturday, Aug. 3, from 9 a.m.to 6 p.m.
In May, the Waldport Library received a literacy-based grant from Trust Management Services, LLC, via the Friends of the Waldport Public Library, to host this community-wide, Comic-Con-style event. It will involve the library, Waldport Community Center, Waldport City Hall, the Seashore Family Literacy Center, Central Coast Fire and Rescue Station and the Waldport Open Space Field.
The Universe of Heroes Cosplay Festival is a free event, and the line-up for the day includes:
- Check-in at the Waldport Community Center — receive a wrist band and become peace bonded, to be sure that costumes follow Cosplay guidelines for a family-friendly event. Pre-registration is suggested for workshops and the costume competition with information on the Waldport Public Library website. This also applies to Fan Art submissions.
- Graphic Novel Writing workshop with Portland author Elizabeth “Liz” Rusch. Rusch has multiple books in publication including graphic novel “Muddy Max” and a non-fiction for kids, “Impact.”
- Graphic Novel Illustration workshop with recent Savannah College of Art and Design graduate Caitlin McCrum.
- Cosplay Costume and Mask workshop with local “hero” Grayson Schlosser.
- Drawings for graphic novels will be held throughout the day for all ages. Graphic novels were provided through the Trust Management, LLC grant, and from Hookers’ Sports Cards in Eugene.
- Cosplay Costume Contests for kids, teens, adults and groups, wth cash prizes and swag.
- Fan Art Contests for kids, teens and adults with prizes. The Waldport Arts Group is helping to coordinate this competition. All Fan Art should follow the rules on the Waldport Public Library website. Art should be brought to the library on Friday, Aug. 2, before 5 p.m. The art will be exhibited in the Waldport Library Moore Room for all-day viewing.
- The Oregon Coast Aquarium will host a bio-facts table with Wanda, their life-size orca.
- Brad’s World Reptiles will be on hand with 15 to 20 reptiles. The local 4-H groups will hold a petting zoo.
- Yo Ho Ho Bounce will have an all-day bounce obstacle course for kids of all ages; and will be part of the Hero Five-part Fitness Race.
- Free hot dog lunch at Central Coast Fire and Rescue Station.
- S.L.U.G., the Seashore Literacy Ukulele Group, will bring fun in the morning, and RipTyde will rock the afternoon.
- A community photo, taken by photographer Kim Mobley, will bring everyone together, including pictures with “super heroes.” A Hero Sidewalk Parade will follow.
- The Cosplay Trivia Annihilation in two parts: First, for middle school students; and second, for ninth grade through adults. Prizes include posters and tickets from Coming Attraction Theater in Newport and swag from the Waldport Public Library (including vintage comic books). Teams will be picked for this fast-paced battle of “hero knowledge” of all types.
- Pop up art and S.T.E.M. stations will be held throughout the day. Participants can also help create a zip line for 12-inch super hero figures. Mask making, hands reaching for the stars, capes, face-painting, and more will be part of the opportunities for family fun.
- Baby Quiet Play will be provided in the afternoon at the library.
- Vendor tables will be set up in the Wednesday Market area at the Waldport Community Center with a Cosplay bent. The $20 fee to vendors will seed a new scholarship through the Friends of the Waldport Public Library.
- Costume winners will be announced and posted at 5 p.m. at the Waldport Community Center.
For more information about the Waldport Public Library Universe of Heroes Cosplay Festival,check the Waldport Public Library website, waldportlibrary.org, or on Facebook at Waldport Public Library Universe of Heroes Cosplay Festival. People can also email [email protected], call 541-563-5880, or drop by the library at 460 Hemlock (Highway 34), Waldport.